New Orleans Funk Vol. 4 : Voodoo Fire In New Orleans 1951-77
Soul Jazz Records’ latest excursion into the Crescent City vaults delves deep into the roots and history of the Voodoo world of New Orleans Funk.
Packed to the brim with serious break-heavy, heavyweight funk tunes from classic New Orleans artists including Eddie Bo, Betty Harris, Dave Bartholomew, Johnny Adams and Eldridge Holmes (with the ever-present Allen Toussaint and The Meters as always behind the scenes). There is also a host of rare cuts from a number of lesser-known second line New Orleans artists, whose fame rarely reached past the walls of the city, including Gus ‘The Groove’ Lewis, James K-Nine, Norma Jean, Bob French, Chuck Colbert, Zilla Mayes and Joe Haywood.
Track List :
1. Pop, Popcorn Children - Eldridge Holmes
2. Let The Groove Move You - Gus "The Groove" Lewis
3. The Monkey - Dave Bartholomew
4. Action Speaks Louder Than Words - Chocolate Milk
5. Frisco Here I Come - Lou Johnson
6. No Competition - Norma Jean
7. Junco Partner (Worthless Man) - James Waynes
8. I'm A Carpenter (Part 1) - David Robinson
9. Making It Better - The Barons LTD.
10. You Make A New Man Out Of Me - Johnny Adams
11. Party Down - Clifton Chenier And His Red Hot Louisiana Band
12. Can You Handle It - Eddie Bo
13. Y'er Comes The Funky Man - Bob French's Storyville Jazz Band
14. Play Me A Cornbread Song - Joe Haywood
15. I'm Gonna Git Ya - Betty Harris
16. Stay - Chuck Colbert And Viewport
17. All I Want Is You - Zilla Mayes